Our first rescue home for abandoned babies “Hope Cottage”
On Saturday, 27 March 2021 we had our Open Day for our first rescue home for abandoned babies at 1 Rustenburg Road, Magaliesburg
Friends of Hopelands, sponsors and interested people from the community came to see what we are up to. One room had a makeover for the Open Day and we received great feedback from those who attended the Open day.
Rugani Juice, one of our sponsors were also present and everyone who attended received a free juice from them.
Hope Cottage is being re-modelled into a home for orphaned and abandoned babies under 6 months of age.
Our objective is to prepare the house to accommodate 20 babies. Hope Cottage will be a rescue home where the babies can eventually either be adopted by a loving forever family or raised by Hopelands in a loving forever home.
So far, we have submitted applications to the necessary departments and are hopeful to have all the approvals done by end June 2021.
Departments where we have to submit applications:
- Health and Social Development (Fees to pay: Not sure yet)
- Certificate for food on the premises
- Permit for an accommodation establishment
- Approval from Social Development
- Mogale City Town Planning (Fees to pay: R16200.00) (Deposit of R8100.00 has been paid already)
- Application for special consent for a place of institution for safe keeping of abandoned children
- Public participation
- Placing and removing of site notices
- Newspaper advertising
- New house plans have to be drawn as the Municipality has no plans on record due to their incompetence, loss or damage to previous plans
- West Rand District Fire department (A Consultant is assisting us pro-bono)
- Emergency plan
- Fire certificate
Work done so far and already paid for:
- Repaired damaged electrical cable from Eskom supply box to the house (R2477.85)
- Replaced leaking water tank with a new 2000 litre tank and laid new high-pressure pipes to move off Municipal water to borehole water (R7500.00)
- Re-modelled one room in the house for Open Day (R5000.00)
- Installed alarm, eye beams and electric fencing for security purposes (R26290.15)
- Maintaining the property to look neat and presentable at all times
- A sponsor has sponsored all the paint for the interior, exterior and roof for all the buildings on the property (Value is unknown to us as it is being sponsored)
- Hopelands sign was sponsored by iPak (R5000.00)
WISH LIST FOR HOPE COTTAGE:
- According to other baby rescue homes that we have relationships with estimate that the overall cost to care for one baby is approximately R6000.00 per month. (20 x R6000.00 = R120 000.00 per month)
- Solar energy/generator to move off grid from ESKOM
- Building material to build Isolation room and enclose patio for an additional room
- Landscaping of property (Trees to be removed and re-shaping of garden)
- Security cameras and upgrades to be installed
- Baby cots x 20
- Baby clothes, nappies, bottles, food etc.
- Washing machine
- Irrigation system to be upgraded for veggie garden
- Painting contractor
- Vehicle (Preferably a Pick up truck – Small Bakkie)
ALL DONATIONS ARE WELCOME!